Wednesday, January 3, 2007

...and leave show business?



(telephone rings)

voice 1 - Hello?
Voice 2 - Hello..mom? it's me..Ashley!
Mom - Ashley! it's so good to hear from you! Hold on, let me get your father..(muffled) Richard! Richard..it's Ashley on the phone!
(other phone clicks)
Dad - Hello kitten! How's Hollywood?
Ashley - Hi daddy! It's great. So did you guys see me?!
(long pause)
Mom - Umm.. well we watched the parade on television, like you asked us to..
Ashley - And.. what did you guys think?
Dad - I'm not sure what you wanted us to see.
Ashley - The parade daddy...hello.."The Rose Bowl parade"?
Mom - Honey, you're father and I watched the entire parade like you asked.
Ashley - So you saw me!
Dad - Where sweetheart? We looked everywhere for you.
(long pause)
Ashley - I can't believe this.
Mom - Where you a pilgrim?
Ashley - I was a Storm trooper Mom! Not a pilgrim, a Storm trooper!
Dad - What the heck is a storm trooper?!
Mom - Richard... Ashley, we were just confused as to where you were.
Ashley - We were right behind the "Tribute to George Lucas"...float.
Mom - The big bearded head float?
Ashley - Yes..that's the one!
Mom - That beard looked difficult to make.
Ashley - We were marching right behind that!
Dad - All we saw were some flag waving robots.
Ashley - Not robots dad..storm..
Dad - Oh God..
Mom - Honey..remember your blood pressure.
Dad - That was your big break?
Ashley - I knew you wouldn't support me.
Dad - not support you?! Who sent you to New York for acting school, then to London, then to Los Angeles. Who pays for the apartment, the acting lessons, the dance lessons, acting photos?
Mom - Honey..
Dad - and all of that training leads to you dressed as a robot, waving an American flag?
Ashley - It was the French flag..
Dad - Sweet Jesus..
Mom - Honey...
Dad - I told the guys at work to watch...
Ashley - Well I'm sorry to be such an embarrassment.
Dad - (mumbles) ..we're going to have to move...
Ashley - well for your information this was a big thing. Because after the parade, when George Lucas came over and to us to say good job, he was looking straight at me!
Mom - well that is something I guess..
Ashley - and because of this, my agent feels certain that he can get me other work.
Mom - Really? like on television?
Ashley - No, he was thinking more of Science Fiction and Comic book conventions.
(long pause)
Dad - I'm going to go lay down now...kitten, as always..good to hear from you.
(telephone clicks)
Mom - I had better go get his medicine. Call me later and we'll catch up.
Ashley - OK mom, bye.
Mom - Bye dear.
(click)


s