Monday, March 10, 2008

SXSW Day 4

Hello all,

Typing a little slow today gang. After an afternoon of panels and one really good film, I went to a few patties last night.

The first party was the VH1 Rock Docs (I know, cheesy title). This party was to support the documentary featuring Bela Fleck and his trip to Africa. For those of you that don't know, Bela Fleck is a highly respected banjo player and has appeared on many albums. His trip to Africa was to actually trace back the origins of the banjo. The party invite claimed food, drinks and a performance by Bela, so I was really looking forward to it. Well, the line to get in was very long and they moved through that BBQ buffet like a school of piranhas eating whatever it is that piranhas eat. I managed to grab a drumstick and a little potato salad. As I scanned the audience for a place to eat my din, i noticed a familiar face in the crowd. That face belonged to none other than Jeffrey Tambor! I'm a huge fan of his work, going all the way back to his guest spots on "Hill Street Blues". Also in the audience was Morgan Spurlock of "Super Size Me". Bela got on stage and performed a few numbers and he did not disappoint...a true virtuoso. They had a camera locked off on the stage so that they could project on a big screen behind the stag all the monitors in the bar. I was actually standing at the back of the stage, so I could not see the big screen. But I looked over at one of the monitors and realized that from where I was standing I had been on camera this entire time, so on this giant big screen the only two people on the screen were myself and Bela ...rocking the house.

From there I moved to the "Technicolor" party. More food and open bar. Met some nice folks. Did I mention the open bar?

I would like to say the night ended there..it didn't. A friend from home was also in town, so bars were in order. It's like this town is trying to hurt me.

Woke up this morning to a huge storm blowing through. It has been raining all day. So you combine the cloudy weather with late night parties and Starbucks is doing great business today.

Well gang, off to another panel. more later

s