Tuesday, April 7, 2009

London Times

Saturday, April 4th.

Flew into Heathrow Airport about 7:30 after about a 10-hour flight. Took a shuttle with about a dozen or so other passengers and we slowly made our way to the city as our very friendly driver proceeded to point out the various sights along the way. Anytime you hear, “Built in the 15th Century”, you realize you ain’t in Kansas anymore.

Arrived at Erika’s flat and really understood the true meaning of a small London flat. I’m not saying this flat is small but,
a) I had to go outside to change my mind
b) All the mice were hunchback
c) I put the key in the keyhole and broke a window.
Other than the size, a lovely place and very well located.

One of the things you notice immediately about London is the fact that it is one of the most walkable cities that I have ever been in. As we walked around the neighborhood, I noticed the many public parks or gardens with people enjoying the beautiful weather, spread out on blankets, walking their dogs or pushing the baby strollers. 















This is St. George's garden. This was two former cemetaries that was converted into a garden.


















Some of the actual grave markers line the outside walls.









Of course this stunning weather contradicted the wool coat, gloves, hat, scarf and thermal underwear that I had packed.

After getting the tour of the neighborhood, we walked down to the British museum that is famous for the Elgin Marbles and the Rosetta Stone. Amazing pieces.





























After that it was the neighborhood grocery store and home as the jet lag was in full effect and I actually nodded off over my plate of food.

Sunday April 5th,

Beautiful weather once again as we headed to what I think is one of the greatest museums in the world, The Natural History Museum. We had packed a lunch and decided to take the scenic route to the museum. Walking through Trafalgar Square














 














to St James Park (where the sandwiches were consumed), then up to see Buckingham palace, then on to the museum.















Now I had been to London once before many years ago as a child and I remember one of two things: 1) The Tower of London and 2) The Natural History Museum and the impact has never diminished. I love this place.





























After the museum, we took the tube (Subway) back to the neighborhood and a visit to one of the many pubs in the area. Did I mention I love this neighborhood? A bottled American beer now feels like a rinse cup your dentist gives you after experiencing the pint. Love the pub.

More later.

s